Rebel Without A Cause
REASONS WHY IMPROVISERS SHOULD WATCH “REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE”
- To expand your reference level – it’s an iconic film.
- James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo, and Beverly Long who plays Judy’s (Natalie Wood) best friend and is in my Senior Improv Class
- Archetypal scenes can be used for improv (great to stick your own version of them into the middle of Harolds) – for example, James Dean’s fight with his father, the knife fight in the parking lot of Griffith Observatory, the “chicken run” scene. And all those moments showing kids not getting along with their parents – makes for great parody.
- James Dean’s throw-away impersonation of “Mr. Magoo” who was voiced by Jim Backus, who plays his father in the movie.
- The way the story is put together – action sequences mixed with Actor’s Studio moments that never leave you bored. Keeps moving forward and raising the stakes. Great screenplay by Stewart Stern.
- Did I mention James Dean – talk about commitment!